Tuesday, January 09, 2007

 

Portrait


Portrait
Originally uploaded by Jeff..
When I’m busy it’s unfortunate but the blog is the first to suffer neglect in my succession of priorities. I am drawing though and that is what’s most important. Currently I’m working on a portrait of my wife a project that has been germinating in my mind for some time.
Portraits are difficult. On the one hand the likeness must be easily discerned or you just have a figural expression. On the other hand if the portrait is such a perfect representation of the subject why not just take a photograph?
A stylistic treatment and a sense of emotion must be present in any portrait. Projecting personality and depth of meaning is how to achieve a truly great portrait. Otherwise you are just showing off your drawing skill a novelty that will quickly erode.
So where am I in this endeavor? I think somewhere in between. Maybe a little closer to the pictorial representation than the expressive but I need the practice to improve my drawing skill. Note that when you draw a portrait of someone who is an important part of your life you experience much emotion, thoughts and remembrances and hopefully those contemplations and emotions wind up on the paper. I hope I hope. For now back to my drawing.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?