Tuesday, November 28, 2006

 

Intimidated by the blank page.


Intimidated by the blank page.
Originally uploaded by Jeff..
As I finish my next painting I have a few thoughts about the process of creating. For me the act of creating is just something I have to do. It happens to be the most frustrating and at the same time most rewarding thing I do. But my biggest hurdle has been defeating the blank page or just getting started. That empty void staring back at me has always been a huge struggle for me to overcome. I find myself procrastinating every time I begin a new work. I’ll get a cup of coffee, take the dog out, clean my studio, run out to get more paint, wash my brushes, take a walk part of the problem stems from the fact that I think every time I lay a brush to canvas it must be this perfect stroke instead of just letting the process happen. What I should do is learn from the process and not take the act of creating so seriously and allow myself to fail. Failing shouldn’t be such a surprise to me either since I do so much of it. I always learn from failing so I guess I should embrace it not avoid it. Easier said than done. This procrastination can be stifling and keeps me from being proficient and this is why I am still working on the same painting I started over a month ago. I envy the real artists that can just turn out painting after painting like breathing. Check this out. For me it’s more like drowning always struggling for a breath and finally pulling myself onto the shore exhausted and needing a month to recover before I dive back in. It’s always been that way for me and probably always will.

Comments:
Wow, just a flurry of acticity on my art this week! better than my blog. I'm glad the second post came along - the bluebird illustration - so it reminded me I wanted to comment on this one.

I don't think it is true for everyone, but I definitely run into blank page syndrome in various musical projects. So it's not just a visual arts phenomenon. And I would guess there are many similarities between this pattern and "writer's block".

I also approach work as if whatever comes along must be profound and final. Yet I acknowledge (but have often rebeled against) the reality that the best musicians spend hours a day practicing, studying, and focusing technically. This gives them a wide variety of tools from which to choose at the times creative juices are really flowing. (Jazz improvization is a perfect example of this - most pro jazz musicians practice an enormous amount of time in compariason to their time performing in front of people.)

Thanks for sharing this common thread between us.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?