Saturday, July 15, 2006

 

cloud


cloud
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
Let me see I believe it has been just about six months since I started this painting. Sometimes I think one never really finishes a painting one just gets sick and tired of working on the #@!%ing thing, so with that, I declare that SoulCloud is finished.
I love the final color, light and texture. I discovered allot about laying down paint and building up color with this painting. Creating a deep rich tonal range is a highly difficult endeavor especially if you are looking for the complexity of color I want.
I have heard of and seen paintings where artists have laid down multiple color layers in just one sitting but I have always found I need to let the paint dry before applying another color. The more I paint the more I learn. I realize I have a long way to go before achieving the dramatic results I’m seeking but I believe I have made progress with this execution.

Comments:
I love the depth of even the online photo - seems I can reach out and touch elements of the painting. I'm especially drawn to the shadowy nature of the rain under the cloud.

The flicker site also showed your previous "napkin doodle" and it reminded me at this point of the cover art for a CD that we just acquired. We saw The Wailin Jennys on the July 4th weekend Prairie Home Companion broadcast that was shown on PBS. Their first CD, entitled "40 Days", has a work entitled "Labryrinth 4" as the cover and CD art. I realized then that your seafoam piece reminded me of a labyrinth - I believe I found places where the transition between symbols drew you further into the center. Anyway, you can see the cover art here and read more about the artist, Lynne Mcilvride-Evans, here . Some very interested spiritually oriented art - I think you'll like it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?