Saturday, January 14, 2006

 

Jonah Wailed


Jonah Wailed
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
Well I finally finished it.
The colors you see are not exactly accurate. The original painting looks a little richer and not so electric. There are a couple of mistakes but over all I think I’m satisfied with the results.
I hate the fish. The original drawing of the fish is so much better. It is much more fluid and free flowing where the fish in the painting is awkward and stiff. Some of the transitions in the waves are a little unfinished.
You can't see it in this photograph but the ocean in the painting is much more dark and rich than the waves and really sets off the kaleidoscope of colors throughout the waves. These vibrant colors really add important meaning to the painting.
I won't bore people with my thoughts on what the composition is really about but just let everyone apply their own meaning.
For the last couple of weeks as I applied the finishing touches to this piece I got to thinking more and more about what or who might have influenced the way I have been painting and "Peter Max" came to mind.
I remembered as a child one day my father had come home from work and gave me this book of paper airplanes. It might have been for my birthday. The book was made of heavy cardboard and you could punch pieces out of it and build a plane that really flew. Peter Max designed the book. The planes were bright, colorful, pop art-ish, and with Beatlesque type illustrations. Though I don't try to emulate this style of art I do find inspiration from it and not just the tactical parts of it but also the spirit of it too.
One last word on the paintings expression even though the painting depicts a desperate moment of imminent defeat that "reality" is very transient. It is mostly about hope.
Ok time to move on. I have no idea what I’ll be working on next. I will post some possibilities soon.

Comments:
Oh, but I do want to know your thoughts about what this painting is really about. Instead of someone preaching to me for 40 minutes I dream about setting a work of art such as yours in front of a small group and discussing the meaning. Let it draw out the truth from the biblical story. To me the connection between art and theology is very strong. One speaks life into the other. We should really do that sometime!
Deb (Across the street with Chuck)
 
I think that could be really cool.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?