Saturday, January 21, 2006

 

The Curtains Breath


The Curtains Breath
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
As I begin a new painting I thought I would post some older work. This particular piece is about twenty years old. Yikes just saying that seems odd and makes me feel ancient. Twenty years, students attending college now weren’t even born then!
The medium is simply pen and ink on paper. The technique involves using short strokes with a pen and building one-layer of scratches over another until you achieve the desirable shade. There are really no actual lines forming the couch, chairs or window just variations of light and dark.
The style suggests motion, implies movement and the idea of constant transition. Overall it feels moody. I was probably brooding when I drew this. It sort of reminds me of the band "Coldplay" .
I see many mistakes that I would change now given the chance. Overall I would simplify the details and I would change the perspective of the chairs they seem a little out of whack. If you’re looking for some truly surprising pen and ink work look-up"Edward Gorey" he is an amazing artist who has always produced evocative and engaging imagery. You will probably know him best as the man who created the opening animation sequence for PBS’s Mystery.

Comments:
Yo, dude,

This is cool - I didn't know you blogged. I've been pondering one myself, but hadn't started up yet. Anyway, thanks for sharing - I guess I could see some of these in person if I walked across the street, huh?

Chuck
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?