Sunday, September 11, 2005

 

SummerEnds


SummerEnds
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
Well summer is over and I'm finished with this friggin painting. I'm really not sure what I want to say about it. My vision for the painting looked a little different then where it actually ended up but that always happens.
I built allot of color on color. I tried to give a different texture to what was happening inside the glass to make it look more like water. I broke up the color with small short strokes and used somewhat disparate color parings to create a refractive look to the glass. The flowers just kept evolving. The one thing I don't like is how the flowers seem to recede into the painting. I tried pretty hard to have them pop off the board but they still seem to just blend into the rest of the colors. The further you step back from the painting the more you see a pixilation effect and the colors start blending together. The paint came off the brush pretty severely which eliminated any chance to build in any high detail but that's ok it makes for quick work and that is much more to my liking. I would get so frustrated if I had to capture every detail in the glass or flowers. I would much rather show and create emotion then render details.

So does it feel like summer? Does evoke innocence?

Some technical things. The actual color is much stronger then in the photo. Also this is the first time I have ever painted on a wood board. I really like how I didn't have to deal with the texture of the canvas and how smooth the paint laid down.
I had an illustrator professor once tell me that when you believe you are finished with a piece of art you're really only about halfway done. So now’s the time for some contemplating. Maybe I'll discover what's lacking.
Next up Jonah’s Last Look 2.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?