Monday, September 05, 2005

 

Jonah 2 sketch


Jonah 2 sketch
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
In parallel with the summer clovers painting, I have been working on a second jonah's last look concept. I have posted my original sketch for the idea. I had sketched this out about a month ago and am currently working on a version that is oil on a wood board the same medium I am using for the clover painting.
I felt the need to add a human element to this painting. Something to show the futility of Jonah's struggle to save himself. I have added a hand reaching to grasp the tail of a fish as if in some way that will save Jonah from drowning. There is some obvious irony in the fact that ultimately it is a giant fish that swallows Jonah and vomits him out onto the shore. I wonder what laying in a pile of fish vomit is like? Anyway, I think you get the picture.
The lines are fluid always showing motion, the hand gesture reveals someone in the last moments of a hopeless struggle and the fish is as proud and oblivious to the man's struggle as a fish can be.
There are many many places to go with the meaning of imagery like this political, personal and spiritual. The biblical story was based on a man running from God's calling. I think we all can relate and apply this struggle to or own lives in one form or fashion. In the end Jonah realized that following the path that God had laid out for him was the only true road to take. A lesson I have to be constantly reminded of. Thank God Jonah went through this turmoil because now all I have to do is just read the story.
FYI in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina I have added links to some of my favorite charities. Also here is one of my favorite prayers; Father, help them.
I have a great love for the South, God bless New Orleans, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?