Monday, February 14, 2005

 

My Sister's Pond


My Sister's Pond
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
This is a fairly old sketch I created it while I was at my sister's farm on a sunny fall day. Most of the leaves had already fallen from the trees but as you looked back through the skeleton of branches you could see some clumps of leaves holding on to dear life not wanting to give up the ghost. The fallen leaves on the ground appeared to have a purple tint strongly contrasting with the bright orange and red leaves that remained in the trees. Those last few leaves were really giving off tons of bright color too emphasized even more by the angle of the sun.
When I first started painting the sketch I was trying to capture a realistic interpretation of the scene. But sense I'm not much of a realistic painter I found myself getting frustrated with trying to paint this way. The painting took less then three hours to paint but most of the look and feel was created in last twenty minutes when I finally got fed up with myself trying to be a realist and started adding allot of loose expressive brushstrokes. Though there is not allot of real craftsmanship to the painting I do like how the color turned out. Even with all the frustration it was still one of the most fun times I've had painting.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?