Saturday, January 22, 2005

 

Sketch3


Sketch3
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
This is a sketch I drew for a series of paintings I am currently working on. The paintings are inspired by the story of Jonah. I just recently completed the first of hopefully several paintings of the series. Since I like the sketches so much more than the painting I thought I would post them here first. The sketches have really helped me develop a good sense of composition and movement. I was attempting to plan out direction of the brushstrokes and the priority of the water, land and sky.
I call the paintings Jonah's Last look. Jonah is a Bible character who asked to be tossed from a ship in an attempt to pacify God's anger and subsequently calm a storm that was threatening to destroy the ship and the crew. The point of view of the painting is after he has been thrown from the ship and before the whale swallows him, which is a whole different look/story.
Unfortunately my first attempt at the painting did not turn out so well. I'll post the finished painting later and included some of my thoughts on how I might improve upon it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?