Sunday, January 30, 2005

 

Cottage


Cottage
Originally uploaded by Ponycar.
I thought I would post one of my older paintings. This painting was completed about four years ago. Amazing to me it only took a few hours over a couple of days to complete. The painting is based on a watercolor illustration I saw on a calendar. I wasn't trying to make a exact copy I was just use the image to experiment with a loose brushstroke technique. If you look at the painting closely you'll see very little detail. Much of the painting is composed of large swashes of color. Actually where I tried to add detail is where I came across the most difficulty. The trees against the house were hard to render and in the end never got fully resolved.
I did use a palette knife to add some thicker areas in the foreground but the majority of the painting was created with a medium sized hard flat bristle brush. I used the same flat brush for the whole painting never changing to a smaller size. I think this added to the overall consistent look and feel of the finished piece. I created another cottage painting earlier this year that has much more detail I may post it here later. Currently I am working on a seascape now and as soon as I can get my camera working I'll be posting it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?